The issue of marriage equality is a hot topic in today’s media.  Irrespective of your own personal beliefs on this issue, it is important that people are aware of how to protect their legal interests, as well as the sanctity of their relationship, particularly if they are in a same sex relationship

In this blog we share some legal tips on estate planning and family law matters for couples in same sex relationships.

Create a Will

Having a Will and naming your same sex partner as the Executor and/or primary Beneficiary is a good way to ensure that in the event you were to pass away, your partner will inherit your estate and be able to make the appropriate arrangements for your funeral and burial and the like.

Too often we hear of a situation where one of the partners in a long term same sex relationship passes away, and because a Will was not drafted, the next of kin reverts to the departed’s parents who have alternate views on how and where their son or daughter should be laid to rest.  This scenario is further complicated by the inability of the same sex partner to deal with assets such as bank accounts, property and personal affects.  In a time of grief and emotional turmoil, there would be nothing worse than adding the horrific pressure to your survivign partner to also have to justify and prove your relationship so they can carry out your wishes after your death.

Consider Powers of Attorney

Power of Attorneys are as equally important as drafting a Will.  Similarly to the Will scenario outined above, if you do not have a Medical or Financial Power of Attorney nominating your same sex partner as your Attorney, in the event that you become medically incapacitated or travel overseas and are unable to access bank accounts etc, your same sex partner could be rendered powerless to assist you in your hour of need.

By having these documents in place, it also further legitimises the nature of your relationship so that if same was to be challenged, you have legal documents in place that confirm your relationship to each other.

Financial Agreements

If you are in a same sex relationship and have accumulated assets or bought property together, and/or are cohabitating, we would recommend having a Financial Agreement drafted.  This document can be drafted prior to cohabitation, during cohabitation and after a separation.

A Financial Agreement is a legal document which outlines the assets each party brings into the relationship, sets out any joint assets that have been purchased together and how they were purchased between the parties, and also in the event of a separation (if the Agreement is made pre-cohabitation or during cohabitiation) how the property and assets will be split between the parties.

Like a Will and a Power of Attorney, this is another legal document which further documents the status and nature of your same-sex relationship and eliminates any uncertainty or misinterpretation that your relationship is of a friendly or ‘room mate’ type status.

Register Your Relationship

Each state in Australia has a registry where you can formally register your same sex relationship (in Victoria it is known as the ‘Births Deaths and Marriages Registry’).  By doing this, you are legally registering the nature of your relationship to each other.  This can be particularly important if you have children together that may not be biologically either both or one of the parties.  If this is the case, you may also want to consider formal adoption of your non-biological children, so that there is a legal acknowledgement of your role as parent.

The team at Legally Yours strongly believes in marriage equality and that ‘love is love’, no matter whether it is between a man and a woman, or two people of the same gender.  We fervently hope that marriage equality will exist in Australia in the not too distant future, however, until such time as this is the case, we would highly recommend that couples who are in same sex relationships consider the aforementioned legal tips.

Whether you are in a heterosexual or same sex relationship, it is important that you have valid Wills and Power of Attorneys in place that nominate your loved one as your next of kin.  A Financial Agreement is another legal document that further acknowledges the nature of your relationship and also sets out how property and assets will be dealt with in the event of a separation.

When you need a lawyer, it’s important to get it right. At Legally Yours we connect you with high quality, fixed fee family lawyers and estate planning lawyers. This means you’ll know upfront exactly what you’ll be paying. No more hourly billing, no more price uncertainty.

For a complimentary consultation and fixed-fee quote from an approved law specialist, connect with us at or call us on 1300 822 708.